Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Read Those Labels

I've become a really avid reader of the labels on food products, looking for sodium, fat and cholesterol.  If you're a fan of frozen dinners (even the "healthy" ones), you'll be amazed at the amount of salt in most of them.  I got "hooked" last winter on a popular brand of Chicken Pot Pie, until I read the label. One of those things contained about half of the total sodium recommended for the entire day! Diet dinners (according to my research) can contained 25 to 30% of the RDA.  And, it doesn't stop there -


Is Gatorade junk food?



There's a debate in Congress, and elsewhere I suspect, as to whether drinks like Gatorade, that have far too much sugar and salt, are junk food. This is something I've been concerned about for a while - the level of salt in our packaged food. I only started looking at salt a few years ago, when mom mentioned that fat and calories weren't the only things to watch out for on food labels. I used to be a regular drinker of V-8, two fine glasses a day, until I read the fine print [...]



On the upside, we're lucky enough to live in a part of the country where the growing season is long and the Farmers' Market offers much to bring to the table.  In fact, one merchant has organized a subscription plan that delivers a bushel basket full of local fruits, vegetables, eggs, cheese, etc each month.  At our house, that means the basis of meals for as much as the next two weeks. 


Tags: , , , ,


Powered by Qumana


0 comments:

Post a Comment